Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Slick Stone

A couple of weeks back we took a trip to a little village spring in far southern Okinawa called Nakandakarihijya (try to say that three times fast). That day we had beautiful blue skies that gave us some really deep dark contrast shots and high winds that gave us lots of photos with camera shake in them. This time, it had rained for three days straight, there was no wind but there was also no sun.This time there were three of us and the results as well as the events that took place turned out quite different.

We had been there for about 10 minutes doing light readings, taking a few shots and praying the skies didn't open up on us when a car pulled up and a middle aged fellow got out and helped a much older lady out of her seat. As she started to make her way over to the alter (that's the little concrete looking thingy Ryukyu Mike is standing in front of in the one photo looking like he's Moses getting ready to part the Red Sea in) I told her to be careful as the wet stone pavement was quite slippery. More slippery than snot on a door knob would be more like it but, I didn't know how to say it that way in Japanese.

She smiled and nodded and then proceeded to give Ryukyu Ryu an earful. I guess she thought he was a local and being that he's half Okinawan on his mother's side, she could be forgiven for thinking so. Anyway, the message was abundantly clear that they were going to the alter to pray and didn't want to be disturbed by those two "gaijins" or foreigners with the cameras, meaning Ryukyu Mike and I.

Mike was busy shooting the bath area of the spring so Ryu and I backed off and chatted while she and the other fellow went and did their business. The last time Mike and I were here, I tried doing a few shots with the HDR feature of my camera. The results were mixed at best so this time I wanted to try something new. The wet stones gave me an idea to try a few low angle shots of the place to see how they would turn out. I'm a whole lot happier with these shots than the ones I took last time. You can check the links provided to that other post and let me know what you think too.

My submission to Travel Photo Thursday for 6 Oct, 2011.

7 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures, I like the angle :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These shots are a bit sharper but, I'd have cropped the distractions out. Like, the furry dude with the camera. He ruins a good scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the angles you shot these photos from - it adds an interesting perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unusual angle for the photos! I guess it allows you to create something out what could otherwise have been ho-hum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the last photo is really interesting. Kind of draws you in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the last one best, as well. The angle makes it interesting :)
    How could you cut out a dude with purple pants? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nancie, my thoughts exactly! Especially given his pose. He's either conducting the Boston Pops or auditioning for the part of Moses in a remake of the Ten commandments.

    ReplyDelete